The global SGLT-2 inhibitors market size stood at around USD 6.5 billion in 2019 and is projected to reach USD xx billion by 2028, exhibiting a CAGR of xx% during the forecast period.
Sodium glucose transporters are proteins responsible for reabsorption of glucose from kidneys. This protein family has two members: sodium glucose cotransporter-1 (SGLT1) and sodium glucose cotransporter-2 (SGLT2). SGLT2 is expected to reabsorb 90% of the glucose from kidneys, while SGLT1 absorbs the remaining 10%. SGLT2 inhibitors are drugs that affect the action of SGLT2 proteins, thereby reducing blood glucose levels. Hence, these are important in the treatment for type II diabetes.
SGLT2 inhibitors are expected to have high consumption in the near future due to simple treatment method and relatively better results and preferred line of treatment for type II diabetes. Additionally, rising prevalence of diabetes across the globe is expected to drive the global SGLT2 inhibitors market. According to a study conducted by the organization based on World Health Organization Data worldwide, prevalence of diabetes is expected to rise from 2.8% in 2000 to 4.4% by 2030. This exponential growth in diabetic population is expected to drive the global SGLT2 inhibitors market.